Ronald J. Wachal
Ronald J. Wachal, CFE, FCSI (former) BSBA-HRTM (University of Denver-Daniels College Of Business – School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management) is presently Senior Associate with FHG International Inc.’s Foodservice, Franchise and Hospitality practice.
Ronald’s (RJ) background and experience is wide ranging and brings a wealth of expertise in Food Service, Restaurant and Boutique Hotel Management & Ownership in addition to Hospitality Management Consulting for both Branded & Independent operations to the team at FHG International.
A dedicated leader and mentor committed to the success of his team and clients, Ron has always made it a priority to build long-lasting relationships with ownership, management companies and employees. He is a firm believer in the “Five P” philosophy – People, Passion, Perseverance, Planning & Profits and strives to deliver the Unforgettable Guest Experience to all venues.
His specialties & experience include Boutique Hotels, Airport Services Management, Specialty Coffee Administration & Franchising, Airport Restaurants & Retail, Contract Catering, Private Clubs, Restaurant Ownership, Turn-Arounds & Restaurant Management, Revenue Management and anticipates assisting clients utilizing extreme integrity and a professional consulting style.
Ronald’s solid & in-depth Professional Hospitality Management background includes:
- Management positions at Private Clubs, namely the Carlton Club in Winnipeg, Manitoba and the Cherry Hills Country Club in Denver, Colorado
- Contract Catering – Assistant Foodservice Director for Canada’s largest contract caterer (ARAMarkCanada) at YORK UNIVERSITY in Toronto, Ontario, and has held Regional Management positions (Full P&L Responsibility for+75 clients) with the Canadian subsidiary of a Major Contract Catering Company involved with Business & Industry management sectors (Canteen Corporation-Compass Group Canada). Promoted to National Director of Foodservice Development for its Canadian Operations
- Restaurant Management – Corporate Restaurant Manager for the startup A&W Coffee Shop Division. Successfully opened eight full-service 90 seat restaurants in major Canadian cities with Total P&L & Guest Service Experience, achieving annual Sales of $900K-$1.2M with increasing profitability
- Restaurant Ownership & Management – Partner & Co-owner of a Boutique Restaurant Management Group specializing in Turn-Arounds. Owned, managed & operated five profitable high-end Fine Dining Restaurants & Cafés in downtown Toronto, Ontario & provided Private Management Advisory Services to several clients within the Hospitality, Retail & Food Manufacturing Sectors
- Hospitality Management Consulting – Laventhol & Horwath-Toronto (the largest Hospitality Management Consultancy in Canada) as Co-Manager of the Restaurant—Foodservice Practice. Successfully provided consistent “Over Quota” Practice Development & Hospitality Consulting Services to diverse key clients focusing on the Restaurant, Accommodation & Foodservice Sectors. Deployed exceptional relationship skills with owners, operators, clients & employees
- Airport Services Management – Airport Services Division of CARA Operations Limited as AIR CANADA Account Director. CARA operated 10 Flight Kitchens across Canada. Accountable for all Air Canada airline catering and ancillary services, menu development, respective contracts & pricing policies. Optimized the significant Division to grow the Air Canada in-flight catering business to a $145M annualized level in 1996 with unprecedented profitability. Developed & managed complex P&L’s, Budgets, Flight Schedules & Systemic Pricing Policies while spearheading multi-functional/cultural teams at the flight kitchen level by exceeding the expectations of the major airline client
- Air Terminal Restaurant Administration – Actively led the re-development of Cara’s Air Terminal Restaurant Group with the re-bid process & successful addition of 10 major airport foodservice facilities across Canada, including Toronto Pearson International (YYZ) with more than 70 foodservice & retail outlets capturing annual sales levels of $40M with increased profitability of 25% year over year
- Specialty Coffee Administration & Franchising – Appointed Director, Brand Integration for CARA Operations Ltd with the mandate to develop 100 specialty coffee outlets within CARA venues. As of September 1999, 99 thriving franchised and corporate owned Second Cup Coffee outlets in major facilities throughout Canada were established with annualized sales ranging from $300K to +$1M. Additionally, spearheaded the installation of Second Cup Branded Coffee aboard all AIR CANADA flights domestically & internationally as an Alliance Partnership
- Boutique Hotel Development & Ownership – While working Corporately in Toronto, Ron founded and established the historic (1834) John Lasher House B & B Inn in Lewiston, NY in 1993. The “Top of Market” facility was developed satisfying the seasonal demand of the Niagara, NY region. REVPAR & NOI were optimized by catering, events and long- term stay programs
- Since 2001 – Owns & Operates the Lodge at Sedona. A Luxury Boutique Hotel situated in the Heart of Sedona, Arizona. The “One of a Kind” property was Renovated, Re-branded & Revitalized with Luxury InSuite amenities, elegant common areas & outdoor terraces. Utilizing Internet Marketing Awareness and Revenue Management & New Media Development tools plus a complete redesign and on-going redevelopment of its several Websites, PMS, SEO, PPC, GDS & Referral Links, the property has optimized Revenue Generation, Guest Retention, Profitable Occupancy Levels & NOI. People focussed & performance driven leading to its success as Four Diamond property. It has been favorably recognized by AAA, Select Registry-Distinguished Inns of America, Mobile Travel Guide, Forbes, etc. Concurrently provides Hospitality, Accommodation & Retail Consultancy Services to clients utilizing Integrity, wide ranging experience and a professional consulting style
Current Work Specialties include:
- Operational Reviews and Management supervision of full-service & specialty restaurants, accommodation properties, full line vending services and central food production facilities
- Comprehensive audits of foodservice & accommodation operations
- Business Valuations
- Development and evaluation of catering contracts & RFP’s
- Market analyses, feasibility studies and financial projections for accommodation and restaurants
- Development of foodservice and accommodation facilities within attraction related developments
- Strategic consulting assistance to the accommodation & foodservice sectors including management companies, tendering procedures, self-operating facilities and quality assessments
- Best Practice Reviews
- Master Planning
- Specialty Coffee Administration, Assistance & Reviews
- Monitoring Services to lenders involved with accommodation, foodservice and club facilities
- Combined ‘In the trenches” experiences with solid financial analyses and corporate strategy background
- Internet Marketing Services for Hotels & Foodservice operations